Pages

A relaxing walking trip in Taipei with lots of coffee!

Time permitted for a week in Taipei to explore at length and at leisure. Although I could have done a round Taiwan tour, this time I did not want to rush through things, and wanted to go in depth in Taipei enjoying the weather, the night markets, Taipei cafes, and just wandering around on foot. As I was going to be in Taipei for 8 nights, finding a hotel for all 8 nights was a challenge, hence I split it up to 4 nights each, at Beauty Hotel Hotel Bfun - North Linsen and Wish Hotel. The hotels were a MRT station apart, so it was easy to walk to the next hotel, and experience a different area altogether. 

The first hotel I stayed in for 4 nights: 

Taipei Hotel Bfun 
At the last moment I was quite hesitant about this hotel, as I found out that North Linsen is kinda like a red-light district. But proved to be unfounded, as the area I stayed was perfectly safe. It is just opposite Shin Shin Mall which houses a cinema and a supermarket. The nearest MRT is Zhongshan, which takes about 15 minutes to walk to the station. A leisurely and pleasant stroll through the Linsen Park. The hotel itself had a lingering smokey smell, which could be easily removed using an air refreshener which I got from the nearby supermarket. Though the double room I got was tiny, it was new, and had a fancy bathtub that encouraged frequent soaks. Hardly any place to hang clothes, so you are literally living out of a suitcase. Otherwise its a new hotel that located in an office block that I enjoyed more than my second hotel. The hotel is near the Nanjing W Road, which is an enjoyable stroll of window shopping and eating. It is a 8 minute walk from Ambassador Hotel, where you can take a direct bus from Taoyuan International Airport, and it stops opposite Ambassador Hotel. Which is more pleasant that going through the human crowd at Taipei Main Station.



Taipei Wish Hotel
There are only 2 great things about this hotel is that is a 5 minute walk from Shuanglian MRT station, where you can see a daily morning market going on, and in the heart where locals buy food from, hardly any fashion or department store nearby. The room at Taipei Wish Hotel is very huge, so you do not feel cramped out. As this is a proper 3-star hotel, where the whole block belongs to the hotel instead of carved out floors. Other than that, I just felt the hotel was nothing unique, a little dated, good only to rest after a day out.

Day 1, Thursday: Taipei, N Linsen Road
  • Arrived from Singapore to Taipei on Eva Air
  • Took bus from Taoyan International Airport to Ambassador Hotel
  • Walk along N. Linsen Road and found a nice dumpling store for dinner (walking towards Gloria Prince Hotel)

Day 2, Friday: Taipei, Nanjing W Road, Yang Ming Shan, NingXia Night Market

Today I decided to explore the area around Zhongshan MRT station and found a quaint little local Chinese breakfast place that is just next to the MRT exit towards MOCA. I had for the first time had the soya bean milk and the shao bing (which is flat white bread with sesame). After that I manage to stumble upon the popular Melange Cafe also located at Zhongshan MRT at exit 4, behind the shopping mall. Melange Cafe is popular for its strawberry waffle which was quite delicious indeed.

In the afternoon I pre-booked a Yangming Shan tour, which included a walk in Yangming Park and a photo stop at the hot sulphar pool, followed by a hot spring experience. Since no one wanted to do hot spring, we ended up going to the CKS house.

At night fall, I decided to explore a nearby market which is a 20 minute walk from Zhongshan MRT. It is the NingXia night market, where they sold mostly food. Tiny market which is less daunting for me, I settled for dinner at one of the restaurants and had a nice pork chop rice with preserved vegetables.


Day 3, Saturday: Taipei, Hope Taipei Farmers Market, Songshan Cultural Park, ATT4Fun, Ice Monster

I was doing some research and found a nearby market called the Taipei Farmers Market that is opened during the weekends to promote Taiwan local farm produce. I had to check it out, and though it was around a 20 minute walk from the hotel, it was thoroughly enjoyable as it reminded me of weekend markets in Australia which I am greatly fond of. You can find all kinds of fresh vegetables and fruits as well as Chinese tea drinking opportunities, also a taste of local street food during the day time. It does not have the cramped kind of feeling as the night markets do, just bring lots of cash with you so that you can buy fruits for your stay and have your breakfast there at the same time.



After spending a leisurely morning at the market, mostly sipping tea and talking to the owners as well as trying out the local rice dumplings and beef rib and yam soup, I moved on to Songshan Culture and Creative Park. This is one of my favorite places in Taipei because of the large open space that you do not feel like you are in a city, with gardens and a pond nearby. It is also where Eslite Spectrum a mall that houses all home and craft items as well as tea houses which I enjoyed browsing. I felt I should have been at this place earlier as the exhibits close around 5-6pm. There are also paid exhibits so be sure to check out anything you fancy. It is a place that I could easily spend an afternoon here at leisure, enjoying arts, goods, and tea, and admiring the green rustic landscape.


With dusk coming, I walked to Taipei 101 to see the night lights, and then proceeded to ATT4Fun for dinner. This is a mall that houses primarily streetwear as well as international labels. And most locals I see come here for meals. I decided to have my first hotpot meal at Huali, which purports to be the first tea house that developed bubble tea. With its huge glasses that dominated each table, you knew that was the case. The thing I like about Huali, is the multitude of hotpot available for order and had individual pots. I did not begin to look at the tea menu as it was extremely extensive. What I noticed about restaurants is they give a 90 minute slot for you to eat so that they could turnover the tables. Practical indeed. After my meal, and since I was in the area, I decided to go for the famed Ice Monster. I understand from my local friend this is no longer the original, but its just as good shave ice. I had the milk tea shaved ice, and I must say it was really good, with ice being somewhat chewy. Delicious and something I would have over bubble tea milk anytime. 

Day 4, Sunday: Taipei Sunday Church, Spot Cafe, Season Cafe, CKS Memorial  

Today being Sunday is church day. I almost did not manage to find an English speaking service but finally decided to give one a go. I was quite uncertain about the church when I came in during worship, and when they sang a familiar Hillsong song, I knew I was in the right place. After church, it was cafe hopping for me. A cafe nearby that I wanted to try was SPOT Taipei. They have unique concoctions of a regular brunch menu, where I had the duck patty with scrambled eggs. The duck meat had a little taste to it, but otherwise it was an interesting meal. Click here on how to get to SPOT.


Following that, I headed to Season Artisan Patisserie which is known for their French pastries. Oh yes, it was a lovely rest stop where I had the window seat to admire the lovely greenery and quiet street outside. Since I was so stuffed from brunch, I could only have the truffle fries which is real truffle and not oil used, as well as their dessert. 


I needed to walk out from all that food! So I headed to Nanmen Market and CKS Memorial, both at the same station. Nanmen Market reminds me of those markets in Spain where they hand pork legs and preserved food, with tonnes of cooked food and bread for sale. After that it was a 10 minute stroll to Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall. I enjoyed the park very much and walked around it a few times.