Pages

Bangkok - a 4 day 3 night sightseeing and shopping holiday with family

In my recent trip to Bangkok, I took a very relaxed approach and decided to not to rush around Bangkok and maximise my time, but to take things easy. As I was with my parents during this holiday, I thought it was best to include a little of everything - eating at a nice restaurant, shopping, and a little bit of sightseeing as well.

Here is my Travel Itinerary for a 4 days 3 nights stay in Bangkok:
Vie Hotel Bangkok
Vie Hotel Bangkok
Day 1 Bangkok - Siam Paragon
We took the airport express to Paya Thai and I was impressed by how smooth and easy the ride is. I stayed at Vie Hotel Bangkok, which was one train stop away from Paya Thai. The disadvantage was when changing platforms from Paya Thai to the BTS station, one had to lug the luggage up several flights of stairs. Good thing our luggage was still light!

I was suitably impressed with Vie Hotel Bangkok as it was unlike the normal 5 star hotels I stayed in with a Thai styled theme and the huge bathroom. I got to have a lovely view of the city as well.

After a quick shower, we headed out to Siam Paragon for a little of shopping at the basement supermarket and followed with dinner - Thai food of course.

Ging Kalpapruek Siam Paragon
Ging Kalpapruek Siam Paragon
Day 2 Bangkok - MBK, Platinum Shopping Center, Centralworld
In the morning, we attempted to walk out to MBK, which is a 10 minute stroll away from Vie Hotel Bangkok to search for breakfast. We even went to Siam Square area, however, all shops closed and only opened from 10am onwards. So we made our journey back to the hotel and rested until 10am.

At 10am we set off to MBK for breakfast at the food court. Finally it was opened and I had fishball noodle, a staple food in Bangkok. Most of the shops were not opened yet, so we took a stroll in the department stall then level by level while waiting for my dad to return from a side trip to Jim Thomson house which was a 20 minute walk from MBK.

It's my 3rd time in MBK, and sadly there is still nothing for me to buy. Apart from the few snack shops, I think most of the stuff can be found in Platinum shopping center.

After MBK we took a cab and went to Platinum Shopping Center. There we had our lunch on the top floor. The food court in Platinum has more variety and is better than MBK any time. I shopped for about 2 hours. I didn't find much clothing this time that suited my taste, but did have a fabulous time shopping at the accessory floor.

After Platinum shopping centre, we walked for about 10 minutes over to Centralworld and had dinner at Laem Char-oen Seafood. Apparently the place is so popular, even among locals that one has to go early for dinner. I was there at 6pm and did not have an issue with finding a seat. They had fabulously authentic Thai food, and with fried fish as their speciality. I am not particularly fond of fried fish, but I must say this was really really good!
Laem Cha-Roen Seafood, Centralworld, Bangkok
Laem Cha-Roen Seafood, Centralworld, Bangkok

Day 3 Bangkok - Ayutthaya Temple, Chao Pharya river cruise, Terminal 21
We took a Ayutthaya Temples and River Cruise from Bangkok Viator tour to just for the convenience of having a credible tour and pick up/ drop off service from the hotel. Personally I have used Viator tours when in San Francisco and London, and to me, this was probably one of the better organized tours from pick up to drop off. They had perfected timing at all locations from the Bang Pa-In Summer Palace to the Unesco World Heritage Site at Ayutthaya and saw the Wat Phra Sanphet ruins, and finally the river cruise back on the Chao Pharya River. They even offered a selection of local cuisine on the relaxing cruise back.

Bang Pa-In Summer Palace, Thailand
Bang Pa-In Summer Palace 
Unesco World Heritage site, Wat Phra Sanphet, Thailand
Unesco World Heritage site, Wat Phra Sanphet
Chao Pharya River Cruise, Bangkok
Chao Pharya River Cruise 
After our hotel drop off, we made our way to Terminal 21 at Asoke BTS. I heard a lot about it and missed going there on my last trip to Bangkok. I was not let down, each floor was very interestingly themed with important props representing each city. Event the toliets were dressed up! Though on first instance the items look more expensive than Platinum Shopping Center  however because there is not much sales,they give a discount and this ends up almost the same price. And the best thing is that you shop in pleasant comfort.

Terminal 21 Bangkok, Asoke Station
Terminal 21 Bangkok
After 2 hours of shopping we ended up dining at Mix. One of Bangkok's best restaurants. Love the Thai food, and it was at fairly decent pricing as well.

Mix Restaurant Terminal 21 Bangkok
Mix Restaurant Terminal 21 Bangkok
Day 4 Bangkok

Off to the airport! And our last meal in Bangkok was breakfast at Vie Hotel Bangkok, which was quite lovely and cozy!

More articles that I have written on other Bangkok trips:
Bangkok with a large group of friends and their kids
Bangkok with the family and tourist sightseeing spots outside of Bangkok
Bangkok with my BFFs all about shopping in Bangkok
A weekend of shopping and eating in Bangkok