Pages

A relaxing and luxurious holiday in Bangkok

Having been to Bangkok countless of times, this was one trip that I wanted to take my time to enjoy Bangkok, instead of rushing from one place to another as what most would normally do. My days were planned around checking out cafes that I had not been too, a bit of shopping, and yes, massage. I also managed to use the gym in the mornings which was a huge plus.

I think what makes each trip to Bangkok unique, as with repeated trips to the same place would be to stay in a different area each time, so that I can explore a little more in depth of a particular area. This time I stayed near the popular EmQuartier shopping mall. It took me a while to figure out the mall layout. It is divided into 2 blocks with one housing the luxurious brands and the other was a mix of shops. While most of the dining options is found on the top floors with great views of the cascading waterfall set in the backdrop of lush foliage, one can also find several cafes scattered around.






My favorite cafe in EmQuartier is D’ark which serves a good breakfast and full bodied coffee. Be expected to pay a relatively high price for brunch in Bangkok, where prices are not significantly different from what you would pay for a cafe in Singapore or Australia. I particularly liked EmQuartier for the unique local lifestyle shops, as well as an unlimited dining options and a supermarket to complete the picture.




Just across the road from EmQuartier, behind Emporium Suites by Chatrium is one of the most instagrammable cafes - Karmakamet Diner. It is such a pretty and mysterious place that is surrounded by greenery. I particular like the view in day as one could almost imagine not being in Bangkok but in the forest. Food again, is super pricey, but I suppose there is always that one time.







First order when we arrived on a Sunday morning was a trip to Chatuchak Weekend Market. We jumped right into having local food in the market, which to me is usually a no, no, as my tummy usually would need a day or so to adjust to the heat of the spice. However since my friend wanted to go local, I had no choice but to follow suit, carefully selecting a bowl of clear noodle soup to acclimatize to the meals in Bangkok. There is always something for everyone in Chatuchak Market - from clothing to shoes to household items, art, and even pets. The one thing probably most unbearable is the heat of the market. So be prepared and wear your lightest attire, good walking shoes, and preferably a battery operated fan!


The next morning we set off to Thonglor to check out The Commons which is such a pretty place. The locals surely have an artistic flair in interior design. The Commons is a standalone foodie heaven, with the ground is floor is filled with food options set up as open concept stalls and the top floor taken up by Roast, where most come to have brunch and coffee. A place that you would want to spend a couple of hours just hanging out, away from the bustling city of Bangkok.




After brunch, we headed down to Chinatown. Surprise, surprise, I never did a detailed exploration in Bangkok's Chinatown before, just because I thought all Chinatowns are the same. However, I am so mistaken. Chinatown in Bangkok is huge and it still maintains its character with its old buildings and traditional businesses. It is another shopping paradise here, especially if you are after stationery, you can buy them in bulk for kids parties back home. One of the purpose for stopping by was for my friend to have the sharks fin, and myself the bird's nest. I also had my favorite Thai dish -  claypot black pepper glass noodle with prawns or Goong Op Woon Sen.






The next morning, the order of the day was to shop at Platinum Fashion Mall which still holds its charm for being the must go place for clothing, shoe, and accessory finds for all genders and age group. Though prices have gone up over the years, it’s still very much a place that you could find cheap clothes and shop in aircon comfort. After a few hours of combing the stalls, I finally surrendered and wandered to a nearby massage place across Platinum Shopping Centre called Paradise Massage for a much needed foot massage. Bliss!



We ended the day with dinner at Taling Pling Centralworld. Look at all the food! We had Tom Yum Goong, Duck Red Curry, Pomelo Salad, Roast Chicken, Morning Glory, and Chicken Skewers. We were happy stuffed!


After all shopping, it was time for ultimate luxury. I started the day off with brunch at Karmakamet Diner, followed by a BTS train ride over to Siam Center and Siam Discovery. It has been years since I was last there, and that was when they were doing a make over. It was so lovely to see everything so modern and monochrome.





I ended the day with an ultra luxurious 3-hour massage at Divana Massage and Spa, which is a 10 minute walk from Asoke BTS station. It was a spa session that is still so memorable, which included a scrub, massage and hot stone, with breaks in between where they would serve you tea and fruit (do you need a break when you are just lying flat all the time? Yes!). Basically when I stepped out of the spa, I was jelly, and all I wanted was to do nothing. What a perfect end to a very laid back holiday.