Pages

Where to eat in Bali

Bali holds a charm that draws many back to visit time again. And for me, this trip to Bali is all about cafe hopping, beach clubs and massage. I have come to learn that the art of cafe hopping is never to have a full meal but to try their best dish or a portion of it so that one would still have stomach space for the next cafe.

Here's some of the cafes I visited in my last trip to Bali:

The Bistrot
Jalan Kayu Aya No.117, Seminyak, Kuta
Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361, Indonesia

When you step into this cafe, you can't help but saying "WOW". It has super high ceilings, a long grand flight of stairs and a huge chandelier greeting you. I almost felt like I was stepping into an old grand french house with a rustic countryside feel. After a long walk along Seminyak, this is a perfect place to escape from the heat outdoors. I was on a clean eating diet then, and had a Caesar Salad. Perfectly healthy with grilled chicken and wiggly egg on a bed of lettuce.






Corner House
Jl. Kayu Aya No. 10 A, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia

This cafe is really located in a corner, but more so a roundabout corner. A very cute and appropriate name. A welcome to rest after a long walk and the incredible heat outdoors. I like the big open windows and spacious and clean feel. This cafe gave me the feeling of a rustic colonial era.




Nook
Jl. Umalas 1 Gang Nook No. 1, Kuta Utara, Kerobokan Kelod, Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361, Indonesia

Nook is quite isolated from the main streets. Getting a taxi back could require some amount of time. Otherwise it is such a pretty cafe, away from the crowds and people, and just looking into the paddy fields is so relaxing. In fact if one doesn't intend to go Ubud due to timing, coming here would be a perfect rest. The cafe does not have aircon, so it does tend to be a little warm. What's lovely is the amount of healthy food choices one could find on the menu. And coming to this cafe, you can't help but want to eat something healthy as well. I had a egg white with mushrooms and a side of salad. How healthy is that!



Potato Head
Jalan Petitenget No.51B, Kerobokan Kelod, Kuta Utara, Kerobokan Kelod, Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361, Indonesia

I have heard of Potato Head beach club is the place to go and be seen. I was a little hesitant about going, as I thought it would just be crazy alcoholic partying, but glad it is not the case, depending on the timing. I chose to go a little earlier, around lunch time, as I heard it gets super crowded in the evening, to watch the beautiful candy floss sunset. The entrance of Potato Head is super grand, I suppose the long path way leading to the beach club itself is to slow down the queue. On arriving you can't help but be amazed at huge compound and expansive ocean with strong waves welcoming you. There are many beach beds to choose, however I opted to be indoors this time. I like it that one can sit anywhere, and change seats along the way, with the bill tied to a person rather than to a table. With healthy options available, one could feel healthy having a meal by the beach and look great instead of a bloated tummy. I had the roasted cauliflower, which was quite delicious!




Ku De Ta
Jl. Kayu Aya No.9, Seminyak, Kuta, Kabupaten Badung, Bali, Indonesia

Another day, another beach club. With such a great experience the previous day, I decided to foray into the next most popular beach club in Bali, that being Ku De Ta. Bali really does this well, beautiful beach clubs where you could just laze around for a good few hours. What's great about Ku De Ta is the lounge music they play and service crew that is alert to your request. Again, they are super cool about you moving seats. I started sitting facing the ocean and watch the crazy strong waves. And when the sun became too strong, I moved to sit somewhere else. I had a delicious rosti with poached eggs and smoothie, feeling super happy about eating relatively clean. Its interesting how these beach clubs changes it personality as the day gets to dark - allowing kids to the club and even setting up bouncing castle for them to play around, and when evening comes, a different kinda crowd surfaces.




Batik Restaurant Bar
Jalan Kayu Aya, Seminyak, Kerobokan Kelod, Kuta Utara, Bali, 80361, Indonesia

Located at the main street in Bali, Batik Restaurant Bar is probably one of my favorite since it is so Instagramable. In the mess of the main street just outside, stepping into Batik is like a breath of quietness and fresh air. I simply love how the place is decorated, and did spend tonnes of time snapping photos! A pretty place with a local modern design makes food all the more delectable.



Seminyak Village
Seminyak Village is one of the malls located in Bali. Relatively new and well designed, it is catered to the higher end crowds, or for those who wish to escape walking on the narrow streets and hot outdoors.


Mecure Bali Legian

I stayed at Mecure Bali Legian during this trip, which to me was quite a disappointment. I have learnt the lesson, that when on a beach holiday stay at least at the beach front, or with a view of the beach. Mecure Bali Legian is a very simple functional hotel for one to rest the head with a 10-15 minute walk to the beach. The beach itself is not very appealing, and neither is the walk there. It is great for those with a budget and need to be in the Kuta Beach area.