Pages

Tapei - the place for food, fashion, nature and fun!

Taipei has never been on my road map of places to travel. Finally I had the opportunity last April when a dear friend encouraged me to go given the cheap flights available. And I must say, Taipei is a place with the freshest fruits, clean air, with a combination of city and country view. It's not as established in its tourism as nearby Hong Kong, and as a result, sometimes it's easy to get lost even with signage.

I would say, if you don't speak the language, it's important to do proper preparation especially how you get to places that is not immediately within the vicinity of the train station.

April is certainly the best time to go, when it is both a combination of sunny in the day and chilly at night. A colleague recommended I stay at Just Sleep XiMenDeng, which in my opinion is certainly a gem of a hotel. It's a boutique hotel which is part of the Regent Hotel Chain. The rooms are simple, functional yet cheerful at the same time.

Just Sleep XiMenDeng

Just Sleep XiMenDeng has a simple place for buffet morning breakfast and you can also use the free interent available in the dining area. One probably needs about 8 minutes to walk to Ximendeng station underground. What's also great is that just opposite the hotel is the largest cosmetic departmental store which closes late for a bit of a late night shopping. Personally Ximendeng is not a place I would purchase stuff even if it was stockful with fashion and accessories as it targets the younger crowd of 25 and below. However, I must say it's filled with youthful vibe, and a great place to hang out and have a meal.

Day 1 Taipei - National Palace Museum, Taipei 101

My first stop while waiting for a friend to meet me was to head to the National Palace Museum. I seriously got lost as I couldn't recall what bus to take from Shilin station. Hence I would recommend if you don't know the language, make sure you have a picture or the address of where you want to go in Chinese. I managed to get a cab by using a brochure I found at the station and pointing it to the driver. What a way to communicate!

I must say that the National Palace Museum is this is one of the favorite museusm I have been as it contains a collection of palace treasures that was stolen from China over time. I managed to get myself on a free guided English tour which I thoroughly enjoyed.

My next stop after I met my friend back in the hotel was to head to Taipei 101. Afterall it is a building that defines Taipei. I was surprise to find out later there is no great city view one could enjoy in Taipei on a stroll or having dinner.

Taipei 101
During the night, a friend brought me to eat at the night market stalls at both XiMenDeng and near a school campus. I suppose that's really what defines Taiwan - with all the night food stalls up containing a multitude of food. I wonder how these Taiwanese keep so trim? I suppose it must be the walking and eating a little at a time! We ended the evening with a date at Eslite Bookstore - apparently they Taiwanese love their bookings with this store being 24 hours!

Day 2 Taipei - Danshui, Beitou, Shilin Night Market

Danshui
The following day was an early morning for us as we set off for a 1.5 hour train ride to Danshui. To me Danshui is a must go place - its by the seaside, lined with many little snack stalls that you can't help but start eating from the beginning to the end of the journey. Being by the seaside, snacks like fried squid and cooked fishballs are certainly a musts. Don't be afraid to sample the food if available! I even like the fish crackers that they sell fresh to be packed. Also because much of the food is fried, when you see fresh fruits especially pink guavas, be sure to try! There is also a plum drink stall facing the sea that is a must. I love Danshui so much I would suggest going there hungry! I have friends who recommend that I take the boat to the other side. I didn't get a chance... perhaps the next time. You probably need a minimum of 3 hours just combing Danshui.
Fresh fried seafood at Danshui
Fresh fish balls a must to try at Danshui
After Danshui we took the train back to Beitou which to is probably the nearest place where one can find hot springs. On the way we saw a gorgeous library that is certainly worth a browse; together with the old bath house. Though Beitou is a small little down, it's worth staying overnight to enjoy the hot spring waters pumped into your bathtub. Just walking around the area seem to keep you calm and at peace if you can stand the sulphur smell.

Beitou Hot Spring

In the evening we proceeded to Shilin Night Market. I was a little disappointed at the food section as I thought the food all looked the same - there are so many stalls cooking oyster omelette, and personally I didn't think the food was that fabulous. If you see fruit stalls be sure to try the bittergourd juice as it helps to bring down the heatiness from all the fried food tasted.

What's great about the Shilin Night Market area is the shopping that is a street away from the food section. Clothes, beauty products, shoes all line up shop after shop at decent prices if you have to deal with the crowds! If you are into fake eyelashes, there are shops just selling them where you can get a box at SGD8!

Day 3 Taipei - Wufenpu

We took the pilgrimage to eat at the original Din Tai Fung stall - to find out if XiaoLongBao is better. The conclusion, certainly not. They have maintain the same standards in Singapore, where I stay, so it's probably not worth a visit, unless of course you wanted to have XiaoLongBaos for a meal.

We initially intended to check out the department stalls in town but since that didn't really appeal after 20min, we made a change of plans and headed down to Wufenpu. Totally didn't regret this decision as it is like a wholesale center of fashion and shoes. You could find anything between SGD15 - SGD60 there. Better still it's airconditioned so you can take your time at this place without feeling the heat, so unlike Chatujak in Bangkok. I love the place because everyshop was selling something different, and one could not cover the entire place even after 2 hours of shopping. Taiwan fashion follows that of the Japanese, so you will be sure to find more frilly stuff than if you were to shop in Hong Kong.

Wefenpu
After we had enough of shopping - we headed to Eslite Mall to eat at the basement food court. You can try the local foods at a very comfortable sit down environment with a lovely woodsy ambience. And I had hot pot which was delicious and spicy!

We ended the evening by taking a slow stroll at XiMendDeng again before ending the day. A very short trip, but one that's totally enjoyable and I look forward to explore further the next time I go to Taiwan!