Pages

A short trip to Tokyo

Just fresh back from a week in Tokyo. With it being my second time, I have almost become and expert with the mind boggling subway network. The trick being to take each coloured line at a time and not together as a whole subway map.

Though I was in Tokyo for a week I had effectively only 1.5 days of available time to do the touristy stuff. Initially the plan was to take a day trip to Mt. Fuji but due to limited time I decided to visit old haunts with the Tsukiji Fish Market being my first time. Who knew that the day I decided to travel around Tokyo it was a public holiday and the actual fish market was not open. However I did get to try the mind boggling variety of fish at the outer market (where the eateries are found). My lesson, to find a sushi bar instead of a rice bowl. And do look for the tamago outlet, the best ever I have eaten, basically cooked eggs on a stick. It's not hard to find, as its the only store and a perpetual queue!

How to get to Tsukiji Market (outer market)
Take the Tokyo Metro to Tsukiji Station. Exit at 1 and turn left past the Tsukiji Hongwanji (Buddist temple) and walk straight down and past the traffic light and you will reach the Tsukiji Fish Market outer market (where all the food stores are found).
Tsukiji Fsh Market
After walking around the fish market umpteen times I decided to move on to Ameyoko, Ueno with the objective of finding AbAb a ladies fashion mall. Ameyoko is home to a bustling local seafood market, where sports goods are sold, where there is endless choices of food, and where I can get cheap cosmetics and Japanese crackers. A short walk away is Ueno Park which houses many museums. To me Ueno is almost perfect as one can enjoy nature, visit a museum, eat and shop all within walking distance.

Ameyoko, Ueno a great market place in Tokyo!

Matsumoto Kiyoshi - makeup galore!
AbAb Cheap Ladies Fashion in Tokyo
This time I stayed at the Royal Park Hotel. A huge plus is that the hotel is located just next to Tokyo City Air Terminal (TCAT) where the airport shuttle took place every 10-15 min. The hotel is also located at Nihombashi which is popular for its many eateries and many of the firsts shops that opened in Tokyo. The disadvantage is the hotel is old but impeccably maintained and there is no shopping. So if you prefer a quiet neighborhood yet easy to get around this is the place for you. 
Nihombashi a quiet neighborhood filled with many eateries