Pages

River Safari all about river life around the world

It was my birthday and as a true blue Singaporean, I was all out to enjoy something free. It is a once a year treat that I could actually get into either the Singapore Zoo, Bird Park, or River Safari for free. Since I have yet to go to the River Safari, this was a default decision. I did not do any research on what I would see, for I knew that Singapore would definitely outdo itself to present the most enjoyable experience with this latest addition to the Singapore wildlife reserves.

I took the Singapore Attractions Bus that picked me up from opposite Merchant Court Hotel, Singapore. Apart from the MRT, this is the most convenient option as I did not have to spend a couple of hours making my way up north.

River Safari is a walking loop, with the objective of showing underwater life in rivers from around the world. It is like being in an aquarium, but one with a themed focus of river life while embracing the tropical outdoors. The highlight of the park is actually the pandas, and watching them not give a care in the world while feasting on the leaves is actually quite therapeutic. Another highlight is the Amazon River Quest, which is a boat ride in the River Safari. However, it was not that appealing to me as I was exposed to the noonday sun, and did not see many animals apart from the flamingos as they must have been hiding from the heat as well.

A cute snack to have while at the River Safari is the steam panda bun, so be sure to stop and sample this snack when at the River Safari. Compared to the Singapore Zoo, being at the River Safari makes you want to continue walking to complete the loop, whereas the Zoo has more shaded resting spots to enjoy both nature and the animals.

My way back to civilization is taking the public bus to Ang Mo Kio, which in itself is a nice scenic route. Going to River Safari is like going on a holiday, as it is to me in a remote part of Singapore, where you are surrounded by nature and not city life I am so used to.